Sunday, November 11, 2007

snip chop stitch

i have officially become an old woman.

yesterday i arrived home at about 1pm after a mid-morning coffee with my mum and brother (who's visiting from canberra). it was beeaaaaautiful weather outside, a perfect 26 degrees and sunny. and how did i spend the rest of my day?

i watched a sex and the city marathon, and sewed. that's right, sewed.

i've never been much of a sewer, other than learning how to use a machine in year 8 art classes, i've pretty much left any alterations up to my mum. but yesterday i suddenly had a massive urge to alter a tshirt i bought last summer from an op shop for $1. don't ask me where it came from.

the tee is huuuuge with blue and white stripes - i bought it at the time thinking i could wear it as a tshirt dress, but the sleeves were too huge, it just looked silly. so it's been sitting in my wardrobe gathering dust for the past year. but yesterday i fished it out, and a sudden rush of inspiration made me set to work on it.

first i cut off the sleeves. then i rolled up what was left of them and sewed them in place. i cut a couple of piece from the ends of the cut off sleeves and sewed them near the shoulders, as little tabs (hard to explain but it looks good). finally, i used a piece of leftover fabric to make a little pocket on the chest, complete with a little orange button.

and TA-DA! i have a wearable t-shirt! it's pretty big still, but looks good as a very casual, throw on tee. i'm also considering chopping off the bottom to make it more t-shirty than dressy. but i'm so proud of my alterations! and it's made me want to make a start on some other things in my cupboard now. watch out old tshirts....

kiss hug

No comments: