Tuesday, September 15, 2009

it's the music that makes us

In my car today, I pulled out an old mix CD, made last summer with the vision of long road trips backed by an inspiring soundtrack. The road trips didn't happen unfortunately, though it did still get a thorough workout around the streets of Melbourne.

It's been a while since I've had a listen, but today I've re-fallen in love with these cheery tunes. The sun was shining through the car windows, warming my stockinged legs, I was heading home from an enjoyable day of sub-editing work (via a quick shopping stop on Chapel St), and I hummed and tapped along to these whimsical tracks.

There is nothing new featured. Nothing electronic. Nothing dancey. There is lots of acoustic. Lots of pretty voices. Lots of imagery.

Hopefully this summer it will fulfill its ultimate purpose and accompany me on a long, windy drive along Australia's east coast. I'll keep you posted.

Enjoy.

1. 66 - Afghan Whigs
2. Someone's Daughter - Beth Orton
3. Burning - The Whitest Boy Alive
4. She Moves in Her Own Way - the Kooks
5. Kanske Ar Jag Kar I Dig - Jens Lekman
6. He Keeps Me Alive - Sally Shapiro
7. Pot Kettle Black - Tilly & the Wall
8. I Don't Do Crowds - Camera Obscura
9. Naive - the Kooks
10. You Are What You Love - Jenny Lewis & the Watson Twins
11. Hugging My Grudge - The Boy Least Likely To
12. Lloyd, I'm Ready to be Heartbroken - Camera Obscura
13. I Summon You - Spoon
14. Sweet Summer's Night on Hammer Hill - Jens Lekman
15. Strangers - The Kinks
16. Pictures of Houses - Tilly & the Wall
17. Felt Tip - Love is All
18. Close Call - Rilo Kiley
19. Rainbowarriors - CocoRosie
20. New Year's Kiss - Casiotone for the Painfully Alone
21. Sea of Love - Cat Power

No comments: