Saturday, October 6, 2007

after a brief hiatus....

Extreme laziness has been causing me much frustration of late.

eg. 'I should clean up the house'. naaaah...
'I should get that assignment due tomorrow done.' naaaah....
'I should write another blog post.' naah....But I have been berated by my friend (and probably the only person who actually reads my blog) and so am forcing myself to get back to it! Plus it's another (more productive) way to put off doing my homework...

Anyway, I've spent FAR too much time lately browsing through various fashion sites. I've given in to my total obsession for 'street' and 'model chic'. Screw the catwalks, screw the fashion mags (wow...I never thought i'd hear myself say that..) - what i find most interesting and inspiring is seeing what people actually wear. What models sit around in backstage. What celebrities wear out to lunch. What normal people wear out shopping in the cities around the world. I love it! I bought the most amazing book the other day of photos from the 80s and 90s taken in the streets. It captures all the random, wacky stuff that people wore during those decades. Such a good find.But back on track. While i've been sifting through the hundreds of photos, I've definitely found myself drawn to some key trends. Basically they encompass everything I'm looking for in my spring/summer wardrobe (though that's not to say there won't be one or two - or ten- spur of the moment extra items bought through the season).

Can't get enough of the white floaty clothes that are everywhere this spring! Shift dresses, shirts, tunics, singlets, tanks, tshirts, skirts...makes me happy because it reminds me of summer and the beach! I also love this trend because it means I can put a white shift I bought in Byron Bay last summer to good use again!

Shirts have been something I've loved for ages. I've spent years looking for a nice white shirt - one that isn't too tight or too loose, is the right length (somewhere between top and bottom of the backside I think), has a nicely shaped collar, and doesn't cost a month's worth of pay. Still on the lookout, so if anyone knows of any...do tell. Also loving the chambray that's around this season. Probably going to hunt a shirt or dress down in the op shops.

(ps. gemma ward's denim dress is my absolute outfit of the season. love it. LOVE IT.)
Checked shirts deserve their own category. They're everywhere at the moment, on girls and guys. I've noticed a fine line between pulling them off and looking funky and stylish, and just looking plain bogan. I think it's something to do with a) the fit and b) the colours of the checks. I love this trend for guys even more than girls. Was in K-mart the other day and noticed hot hot hot guys' checked shirts for only $15! Why didn't they come in girls' sizes...

Maybe more of a winter trend... I've been wanting a little cropped leather jacket for a while now. They're a bit of a staple for celebrities and models it seems, but they do go with everything. Literally. Can't really think of any outfit that would look bad with a little black leather jacket thrown on top. Dark brown leather also looks awesome.

Hmmm I've been getting mixed reactions when I ask people about this, but I've developed a bit of a thing for boyfriend jeans. They've been around for quite a while, but I've only really noticed and embraced them lately. Don't get me wrong, I still love my skinnies, but there's something appealing about getting around in a slightly baggier style. I'm not into the fully loose, crutch down around your knees type, but just one with a bit of room for movement, rather than looking sprayed on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good girl! i log on everyday hoping/wishing/waiting for an update and the day has finally come (albeit with some harassment via facebook)

ps. the fringed black prada bag in the outfit next to gemma w is SO HOT.. my friend has one and i seriously sat there for 2 hours and just caressed it and appreciated it.

pps. checked shirts equals ALWAYS bogan in my opinion.. what ever happened to a sharp suit? bring back 80s power dressing!