Monday, August 20, 2007

Memory Mondays # 4

This week's memories don't travel quite as far back as the last ones...in fact they're from last night. This does kinda defeat the purpose of these posts, but the photos bring back pretty vivid memories for me, so they'll do.

After a highly frustrating and emotional afternoon, I cheered myself up and finally relaxed, making some jam cookies with Nara, my brother's Brazilian girlfriend (she's visiting for a few months, but leaves in a couple of weeks.. very sad). This worked pretty well, the first batch came out looking yummy and tasting really nice - we couldn't help sneaking a couple off the tray, despite the huge banquet being cooked up by my brother for us. Then we finished up the second batch and put them in the oven to bake. 15 minutes later, we opened the oven to find about 20 perfect looking cookies, topped with a blob of blackberry jam. Yummy.
So I carefully pulled them out of the oven with a teatowel and started taking them over the to bench where they could cool. I made it about 30 cm before the tray slipped and the cookies fell jam down onto the floor. Cue tears of frustration, followed by hysterical giggling. A great way to top off the emotionally exhausting afternoon! But after we cleared all the dried jam off the floor, and mum added more jam to the fallen cookies, assuring me no-one would care they had been on the floor (and we wouldn't tell my other brother and his girlfriend who were coming around a bit later ...muahaha) everything was ok. And the cookies tasted gooooood.
Better than they look, I can assure you. Hence the mostly empty plate in the last shot! :)





Nicole's Jam Cookies


1/2 cup caster sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 egg
1 cup flour (self-raising)
jam of choice (I recommend strawberry)

1. Cream butter and sugar
2. Add egg and flour, mix gently
3. roll into balls and place on greased baking tray
4. make small holes in the surface and drop jam in
5. Bake 15 minutes, moderate oven
6. Extra nice if you dust with icing sugar when cool